Canadian Citizenship Requirements
- You must have been physically in Canada for at least 1,095 days (3years) during the 5 years before the date you sign your application.
- You have met all applicable requirements under the Income Tax Act for filing income taxes for any three taxation years that were fully or partially within five years immediately preceding your apply.
- You intend to live in Canada OR work abroad with or alongside certain family members who are employed in the Canadian Armed Forces, the federal public administration, or the public service in a province.
- Communicate in English and French (if you’re 55 years old or older, this is not required).
- You must be able to show, in English and French, that you have knowledge about Canada and the responsibilities, privileges, and obligations of citizenship.
- 18 or older.
- Everyone between the ages of 18 and 54 at the time they apply for Canadian citizenship must take the citizenship test unless exempt. Those who are 55 or older are not required to take the citizenship test.